Sugarless gum has its benefits for your oral health. Studies have shown that not only can sugarless gum aid in the protection of your teeth and gums, but it can also have other health benefits, including preventing heartburn. Although regular chewing gum can be beneficial, the addition of sugar cancels out any perceived oral health benefits. Below are a few of the benefits that sugarless chewing gum can give:
– Sugarless gum increases saliva flow, which washes away food and other debris. Saliva also neutralizes acids originating from harmful bacteria and can provide disease-fighting substances to combat threats with the mouth.
– Be sure to choose sugarless chewing gum that has been awarded the American Dental Association ADA Seal of Acceptance.
– Sugarless gum helps after meals, but it is not a substitute for brushing and flossing.
– Sugarless gum can also prevent heartburn. This is beneficial because the acids in your esophagus can damage your teeth.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can fight cavities. The chewing gum itself doesn’t fight cavities, but the act of chewing increases saliva flow.
Sugarless gum should not be used if you experience any tooth sensitivity or jaw pain. If you would like more information, or if you would like to make an appointment with Dr. David Cho, please contact our fantastic staff here at Alpha Dental Spa by calling us at 856-829-1989. You can also stop by our dentist office in Cinnaminson, New Jersey. This season, be thankful for your oral health!